Palladium decorated Graphene-doped magnetic beads for catalysis
Video of Methylene Blue reduction with Sodium Borohydride in water catalyzed by MarGO-Xm
Immagina MArGO-Palladium decorated beads are palladium-decorated graphene magnetic beads. Beads are functionalized with palladium nanoparticles. MArGO-Palladium decorated are spherical beads with dimensions of about 50 µm.
MArGO-Palladium decorated particles were tested as catalysts for the catalytic reduction of molecules by sodium boron hydride. These reactions in the absence of catalysts are very slow and require days to reach completion. The metallic nanoparticles present on the surface of the graphene can increase the speed of the reaction by several orders of magnitude. 4-Nitrophenol (4-NP), Congo red (CR), and Methylene Blue (MB) were chosen as models for testing the catalytic properties of the MarGO-Xm palladium beads. The Turnover Frequency (TOF) values of the aforementioned reactions are reported in Table 1. The efficiency in the degradation of Rh6G, CR, MB, and 4-NP compared with those reported in literature ranks MarGO-Pd among the more active catalyst.
Table 1: TOF values of MarGO-Xm in different reaction conditions.
Figure 1. UV-Vis spectra of 4-NP reduction before (black) and 1 minute after the addition of the MarGO-Xm beads (red).
- Vortex the MarGO-Xm beads tube for 5 seconds
- Put the required MarGO-Xm beads volume in a new 1.5 mL tube
- Place the tube on the magnet to separate the beads. Remove the supernatant
- Resuspend the beads in your reaction mixture
- Vortex for 5 seconds
- Place the tube in a sonication bath and kept it until the reaction is complete, or alternatively mix with a thermomixer (do not use magnetic stirrer)
- Place the tube on the magnet to separate the beads. Remove the supernatant to collect the product.
- Discard the beads
IMPORTANT: Purchases through our website are restricted to fixed amounts of beads. For larger product amounts, please contact us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org